Organisation design is not simply about mapping out an organisational structure, but also about how the organisation is aligned with all other aspects, functions, processes and strategies within the business. When looking at organisation design, the context within which the business exists must be taken into consideration. We make out various forms of design factors that influence design and a range of tools and models you can use to understand how organisation design fits together. We have at some stage in our lives belonged to at least one organisation. We also can quite easily identify organisations. These organisations can be international (e.g. the World Bank), national (e.g. Parliament and the National Health Service), or local (e.g. a local charity).
The Role of HRM
Some HR functions and processes:
- Communication - Ensure that employees are aware of organisation goals, Correct and suitable information timely must be communicated to wherever it is required within the structure of the business & Ensure that employees are willing and able to communicate.
- Organisational commitment – Implement policies and practices that allow employees to become committed to the organisation.
- Health and safety - This is a crucial aspect of HR. Health and safety only becomes an issue when something goes wrong. HR needs to ensure that all staff are suitably trained and informed on health and safety issues. HR also needs to ensure that the organisation complies with all relevant health and safety regulations.
- Outsourcing - The design and structure of the business may make it necessary to outsource particular job roles. HR would oversee this process and ensure that all policies and practices are in line with the needs of the organisation.
- Equality,managing diversity, fairness and justice - HR should ensure that all employees are treated equally, with fairness and justice. This is required legally and ethically
- Authority and leadership - Depending on the design and structure of the business, HR has to ensure that key employees have the authority they require and ensure that departments are being led in the same direction